Sharps Percussion Cap Breech Loading Rifle:
Sharps Black Powder Rifle:
Christian Sharps in September 1848, patented a single-shot, lever-activated, breech-loading black powder rifle with a vertically sliding breechblock. It was quick to reload and did not require the shooter to ram a charge down the bore as it had its beginnings in the era of the black powder muzzleloader. In the era of black powder rifles, the sharps rifle made the transition from muzzle-loading black powder rifle to breech-loading black powder rifle, therefore, substantially, increasing the firing rate of black powder rifles and effectiveness.
The Sharps single shot rifle design was very unique, instead of having a fixed breech plug it featured a breech block that rose and fell vertically in mortises that were milled into the receiver walls and this was done so precisely that the gases could not escape from the barrel.
The first design change came with the introduction of the Sharps, Percussion Cap, breech loading rifle around 1851. Sharps had his Improved Model of 1851 manufactured by the firm of Robbins & Lawrence as the newly formed Sharps Manufacturing Company in Hartford, Connecticut.
The Sharps rifle fired a paper black powder cartridge, once the cartridge was loaded into the breech the lever attached to the breech block was drawn up, this allowed the breech block to rise and shear off the end of the paper cartridge exposing the powder charge, the rifle was then capped with a percussion cap and fired. Shortly afterward, Sharps disassociated himself with the company. Company armorer Richard Lawrence continued improving the rifle.
The Sharps had a fairly unusual pellet primer feed. This was a device which held a stack of pelleted primers and flipped one over the nipple each time the trigger was pulled and the hammer fell - making it much easier to fire a Sharps from horseback than a gun employing individually loaded percussion caps.
Ironically, both Lawrence and Sharps died in 1874. That year, investors launched the reorganized Sharps Rifle Company, and with it the Model 1874, a metallic cartridge-firing improvement over the original design.
The 1874-pattern Sharps was a particularly popular rifle that led to the introduction of several derivatives in quick succession. It handled a large number of .40 to .50 caliber cartridges in a variety of loadings and barrel lengths.
This became the ultimate big game rifle for hunters and frontiersmen in the West, where hard-to-kill game required hard hitting big bore cartridges. The 1874 Sharps was one of the few rifles that could handle large charges, and consequently it became the gun of choice for Bison hunters.
Often weighing 12 pounds or more, it was chambered for cartridges that included the .45-105 and the .50-140, which gave the rifle its nickname, “The Big Fifty,” along with another moniker, “Old Reliable,” which was stamped on its barrel. The 1874’s accuracy proved itself on target ranges as well. Unfortunately, financial problems caused the company’s failure in 1881.
Sharps Straight Walled Cartridges:
Sharps Necked Cartridges:
Black Powder & Firearms:
How To Make
Lead Round-Ball Bullet
.45" Caliber History
.45" Caliber Magnum
CVA Accura Magnum
Sharps Breech Loader
Loading For Accuracy